All I got from that class was “Balzac… Louis XVI… terreur… prete… la clerge… gurglegurglezzzZZZZZZ”
Learning French in college is horrible. To update you all, I finished taking Business Calc & Business Stats (to which I got an A & a B respectively) this summer. Right after that, I began taking French 202 and Microeconomics.
While I have been so excited to get back to learning French, after not taking it for a year my freshman year, this class has been such a huge disappointment. I’ve taken French since 8th grade, and I continued to take it until the end of high school, resulting in learning French for 5 years. Although I cannot say I am amazing and perfectly fluent in French, I am definitely literate in it. Additionally, my accent is pretty flawed, and my listening is absolutely horrible. If I ever go to France or a francophone country, I’ll have to constantly ask the people to speak lentement.
It’s been 2 weeks, and we’ve been learning the subjunctive mood and the use of “que” and “qui”. While I’ve learned the former in French 3-4, I am horrified to say that I learned the latter in most likely French 2. Comparatively, you’d want to think that French 2 and Intermediate French in college (200-level) would be similar in that they are both only the second year one is taking French, but hello? It’s college. I would think college kids would be taught in a more fast-paced, advanced environment.
I’m truly disappointed to be in this class. I got a 5 in my IB French SL exam, rewarding me a credit for French 201 in my university, but that’s completely botched with how they decided a student with that score would be equivalent to someone who has taken only French 201. What did they even learn in that class?
The most unfortunate detail about this is that it’s too late to drop the class without getting a refund. Again, like Pre-calculus*, I’ve paid for a class that completely underestimates my abilities because my university cannot distinguish the level of their students’ capabilities. It’s absolutely ridiculous.
*My university did not give me credit for Pre-calculus at first. In my university’s IB/AP conversion chart, it said that I would not get credit for my 5 on IB Math SL, but later on, as I was taking the class, I received a notice that I got credit for it… way past the drop deadline of my Pre-calc class. I never showed up to my Pre-calc class unless there was a quiz or a test. I even miscalculated and missed a test, and I still got an A. Like really? This university and its administration is a joke, and I’m so tempted to exploit its name now, but I’m just too generous. For one thing, I will never donate a single cent to this ghetto university.
I have not disappeared from the face of the earth, although I’m sure my friends and family would disagree with that. I’ve been super swamped with school and work. To give you a sample of my schedule, on weekdays, I have school from 10:45AM-12:20PM and work from 4-11PM. Because there is a 30-40 minute drive from my house to my school and work, I stay at my school’s library in between those times, where I get homework and errands done as well as catch up with friends (AKA Facebook).
It’s unfortunate, but I do get Fridays off. 2 weeks ago, I went to NYC as well, and I’m hoping I can blog the details of that trip posted on my other blog. (I still have to post my UNC-Davidson trip from back in May. It’s collecting virtual dust in my tumblr draft folder.)
Anyway, I decided to blog today because I just wanted to lament about how I may be kissing my A in Business Calculus goodbye. There are 3 exams in this class for 70% of the overall grade and a final for the remaining 30% of the grade. My first 2 exams were 100% and 97% respectively. Because I decided to be lazy, I was late yesterday, missing the 10 point bonus quiz (which looked to be super easy) that would be added to this morning’s exam. Unfortunately, this morning’s exam killed me. 9 questions with a built-in 10 point bonus. Hm. I’m unsure about 3-4 of my answers. It will drastically bring my grade down for sure. I have yet to calculate it, but I’m sure I will need a high score on my final.
Womp. As for my Decision Science (Business Stats) class, I’m doing surprisingly horrible. Although I’ve learned 90% of this topic 3 years ago in high school, I’m doing really badly on word problems in the exams. My first exam was a 74, and the second was a 73. Because of the ridiculous curves, both of those grades are B’s. Yeah, I know. With the second exam, you could’ve gotten a 35 and still managed a C. Wut.
So, that’s the update. Finals next week, and I will be starting Intermediate French and Microecon as well! I’m hoping French goes well even though I haven’t taken it in a year. Oh, geez.